History of West Tennessee
In 1818 the last of the Chickasaw land between the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers was purchased from that tribe whose staunch friendship for the English had been crucial in rivalries against French and Spanish expansion. Following that purchase the influx of settlers into West Tennessee was so great that the price of corn rose in one season from onedollar to four and five dollars. Within six years after being cleared for white settlement, sixteen counties and the town of Memphis had been established. It was called the Western District or the Jackson Purchase, commemorating the leader who had directed the acquisition. Twenty years later, in 1838, the long struggle over land between the United Sates and the Cherokees came to an end. Despite the fact that many Cherokees had adopted the dress, the commerce , even the religion of the white people surrounding them, they would not be allowed to remain in their homeland. In concert with Georgia, Tennessee removed by force of arms some 14,000 Native Americans from their mountains and valleys and rivers along a route where so many died that it became known as the Trail of Tears.
The Town of Stanton began with the coming of the Memphis & Ohio Railroad to the Stanton Depot in the 1830s on what had previously been Chickasaw land, but was then owned by Joseph Stanton. The Town of Stanton originally had its first charter in the 1880s but the charter was soon abolished. Stanton received a new charter in 1927 and is mostly a farming community today with a population of about 600 people. The original town that became Stanton was called Wesley, and was located 4 miles east of the current Town of Stanton. When Joseph Blackwell Stanton moved to this area, although he also owned land in Wesley, he negotiated for the emergence of the Memphis & Ohio Railroad on Stanton property where the town of Stanton now stands. The result was Stanton's Depot, which began the movement of businesses from Wesley to Stanton. The school, businesses, and churches in the village of Wesley moved to Stanton Depot, Tennessee, in 1856, turning the once thriving Wesley into a ghost town. The town of Stanton is named for Joseph Blackwell Stanton who moved to Stanton's present location in the 1830s with his wife Lucy and their only child, Grace, who married Nathan Adams, a stockholder in the Nashville & Memphis Railroad.
Around the turn of the century this area’s reputation as quail country had become quite well known and hunters from far and wide came each fall to try their skill at shooting and to watch the dogs work. Many of these men were prominent Easterners. Mr. Laurellard, of New York, head of P. Laurellard Tobacco Co., was one of them. One of Stanton’s citizens, Mr. Charlie Tucker, kept and trained a whole kennel of bird dogs for him, many of whom won outstanding honors. Mr. Tucker was also a successful apple grower and he placed Stanton in the limelight with his famous apple orchards. One variety, his " Tucker Specials" was quite well known. Another huntsman who came was Mr. Barnut, a wealthy furniture manufacturer of New York. ‘'Twas he who gave to the Presbyterian Church those beautiful walnut chairs. But the huntsman who came and most won Stanton’s heart was Mr. W.B. Cleveland of Cleveland Ohio. He came to hunt birds and found his bride, one of our most charming young ladies.